Friday, October 22, 2010

A Dark Millennium

       The company Games Workshop is partnered up with THQ and Vigil Games to create a new massively multiplayer online game (MMOG). It is set in the 41st millennium and it is based on one of the most successful table top games ever known, Warhammer 40,000. Warhammer 40,000 (or w40k for shor)t is a futuristic table-top game where players control armies of models. Players built and paint the models themselves. The game lore is very well written and very understandable. There is now an MMOG about it, meaning that players will be able to enjoy w40k on the table-top and on the computer! This article was found on http://www.pcgamer.com/2010/09/14/warhammer-40k-dark-millennium-online-preview-space-knights/. The article gives special previews for the game such as in-game screen shots. The article is written by Rich McCormick. He states that the game is most likely to be shooter game. I also agree with this. I also hope this is not a point and click game (such as Runescape), as the gameplay gets very repetitive.

     One thing I found interesting about this preview is that the game seems to be built on war. This probably means that there will be less peaceful pastimes such as player housing and crafting. Instead the three companies decided to bulk up Dark Millennium and add more action. This will probably in people who play first person shooter games such as Call of Duty. Dark Millennium will also have another twist, vehicles. From what Rich McCormick stated, there will be tons of vehicles, from huge titans (bi-pedal war machines) to nimble jet bikes (anti-gravity skimmers). They will all be available for players to pilot. I’m eager to find out how much action this game really has. If it does, then no other MMOFPS game could match it. Dark Millennium could possibly be an epic success or a terrible failure.

    I have been waiting for a w40k online game ever since I started playing the tabletop version in 2005. My friends and I used to play it quite a bit. I agree that this game should continue to be constructed. It will give MMO players something to get their blood rushing. The combat looks very exciting and fast paced! One thing I hope the three companies will add is more races. I only saw space marines (heavily armored good guys), imperial guard (humans), and Chaos space marines (the opposite and mortal enemies of the space marines). I really hope they add alien like races such as eldar (sleek armored humanoids). I am keeping an open mind about this game. It looks very nice, but as one of the first MMOFPS games created by a major company, it might not turn out as we want it to. Rich McCormick seems pretty excited to me. He seems eager that a MMOFPS game is going to be released.

   Overall this game looks to be pretty good. The nice graphics add to the appeal of the game. Dark Millennium should turn out well if the producers listen to what the players want and not what they want. This will make many Warhammer 40,000 fans happy. It will also lead to decent game sales. I am excited about an MMOFPS game based on my favorite tabletop game!

1 comment: